Food is very important when it comes to playing pickleball. What you eat can either help or hinder your game and how you feel on the court. It’s important to fuel your body properly before a pickleball game. Eating the right foods will give you the energy you need to play your best.
Fruits are a great pre-game snack. They are full of natural sugar and will give you a quick boost of energy. A banana is a popular choice, but other good options include apples, grapes, and oranges. Avoid eating fruits with seeds or pits before playing, as these can cause digestive issues.
In this article, we talk about what you should eat before, during, and after a pickleball game or training session, but also what you should avoid eating.
What to eat before a pickleball game
There are a few things you should keep in mind when deciding what to eat before a pickleball game. First of all, you want to make sure that you’re eating something that will give you sustained energy. That means no sugary snacks or empty calories.
You also want to avoid anything that’s too heavy or greasy, as that can slow you down on the court. And finally, it’s always a good idea to have some water handy so that you can stay hydrated throughout the game.
Keep in mind that you should not eat 30 minutes before playing to allow your food to digest.
With that said, here are a few of my favorite pre-game snacks:
- A banana and some almond butter: This is a great option if you’re looking for something that will give you sustained energy. The banana provides complex carbs and potassium, while the almond butter gives you some protein and healthy fats. Plus, it’s easy to grab and go!
- A bowl of oatmeal with berries and yogurt: Oatmeal is another great complex carb that will give you sustained energy throughout your pickleball game. Adding some berries and yogurt will give you some additional nutrients, plus the added benefit of being delicious!
- A veggie wrap with hummus: This is a great option if you’re looking for something light but filling. The veggies will give you some complex carbs and nutrients, while the hummus provides protein and healthy fats. Plus, it’s easy to eat on the go!
What to eat during a pickleball game
It’s important to eat during a pickleball game in order to keep your energy levels up. However, you want to make sure that you’re eating something that won’t weigh you down or slow you down on the court.
But, during a pickleball game, the most important thing is hydration. So, make sure to bring a water bottle with you and drink often!
So, what should you eat during a game?
- A piece of fruit: A banana, apple, or orange will give you a quick burst of energy when you need it. Plus, they’re easy to eat on the go!A handful of nuts:
- Nuts are a great source of protein and healthy fats. They’ll give you sustained energy throughout the game. Just be careful not to eat too many, as they can be a bit filling.
- A sports drink: If you’re playing a particularly intense game or it’s hot out, a sports drink can help you stay hydrated and give you a little boost of energy. Just be sure to read the label, as some sports drinks can be high in sugar.
- A granola bar: This is a great option if you’re looking for something that will give you sustained energy.
What to eat after a pickleball game
After a pickleball game, you want to focus on replenishing your glycogen stores. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose, and it’s what your body uses for energy. Eating foods that are high in complex carbs will help to replenish your glycogen stores and help your muscles recover.
Here is a list of the best options to eat after a pickleball game:
- A bowl of rice with beans: This is a great option if you’re looking for something that will replenish your glycogen stores. The rice provides complex carbs, while the beans provide protein and nutrients.
- A sweet potato: Sweet potatoes are a great source of complex carbs and vitamins and minerals. Plus, they’re delicious!
- Grilled chicken: Chicken is a great source of protein, which is important for muscle recovery.
- A salad: A salad is a great option if you’re looking for something light but filling. The veggies will give you complex carbs and nutrients, while the chicken or other protein will help with muscle recovery.
- Small bottle of chocolate milk: Chocolate milk is a great option for post-workout recovery. It’s high in protein and carbs, which will help to replenish your glycogen stores and help your muscles recover.
What you should avoid eating
There are a few things that you should avoid eating during a pickleball game. First, you want to avoid sugary snacks like candy or cake. These will give you a quick burst of energy, but it will be quickly followed by a crash.
Second, you want to avoid greasy or fried foods. These can weigh you down and make you feel sluggish on the court. Third, you want to avoid any spicy foods. These can cause indigestion or heartburn, which can be distracting and uncomfortable.
And lastly, you want to avoid alcohol. Alcohol can dehydrate you and will impair your judgement and coordination. So, it’s best to avoid it during a pickleball game.
Now that you know what to eat and avoid during a pickleball game, you’ll be able to stay energized and focused throughout the game!
No matter what you choose to eat before your pickleball game, just make sure that it’s something that will give you sustained energy without being too heavy or greasy. And don’t forget to drink plenty of water so that you can stay hydrated throughout the game!